- Expert in: ANSI C, Perl 4 - 5.8, HTML 4, XHTML,
CSS, CGI coding environment, bash/ksh UNIX shells, Pascal, some assembler languages
- Also experienced with: C++, PHP,
- Experienced in LAN/WAN network design and
- Familiar both in theory and hands-on with WAN data
communication protocols including PPP, DS1-DS3, Frame Relay, and common
CCITT dialup protocols
- Familiar both in theory and hands-on with LAN and
routing protocols including Ethernet (10/100/GigE), low-level IP (ICMP,
ARP), TCP/IP, UDP, BGP4, OSPF, RIPv2
- Familiar with network equipment from vendors
including Cisco, Foundry Networks, Juniper Networks, Hewlett-Packard
(Procurve switch line), etc.
- Significant Cisco IOS admin and configuration experience, familiar
with Juniper JUNOS.
General Technical Expertise
- Requirements-driven, customer- and user-oriented
approach to design.
- Strong object-oriented and pattern-oriented design
philosophy, independent of language.
- "Bare-metal" programming - hardware interfacing,
device drivers, interrupt handlers and timing constraints, low-end
microprocessors (Z8, Z80)
- UNIX system administration, including FreeBSD and
other BSD UNIXes, Linux, and SVR4-based such as Solaris and HP-UX.
- Programming for UNIX systems (including FreeBSD and
other BSD UNIXes, Linux, and SVR4-based such as Solaris and HP-UX) plus some real-time OSes.
- Some admin experience, substantial user experience with
Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 9x, MacOS 8/9/X.
- Computer security - strong background in both network administration
and "defensive programming" concepts and techniques. Familiar with firewall
configuration concepts and specifics. Regular Bugtraq reader.
- Internet protocols - Familiar both in theory and
hands-on with numerous protocols including low-level IP (ICMP, ARP), TCP/IP,
UDP, and many of the most common Internet application protocols including
DNS, HTTP (web), SMTP, POP, IMAP (mail), SSH, SSL, FTP, TFTP, NNTP, NTP,
SNMP, rsync, etc.
- Recognized contributor to open source software including: Cricket
SNMP monitor, qpopper POP3 server, smail mail server, tin Usenet news
reader, cleanfeed Usenet filter; a designated volunteer maintainer for
- Familiar with configuration of many key Internet open source
packages including CVS, Apache, Bind, OpenSSH, Postfix, Smail, Qpopper, UW
IMAP, Squid, etc.
- Almost 30 years
professional experience in computer industry.
- Four years experience as CEO of growing high-pressure company with "buck
stops here" responsibility for over 30 employees.
- Nominee for Ernst and Young Hawaii Entrepreneur of the Year award.
- Over 15 years experience managing technical staff; know what works and
- Able to build teams, negotiate decisions, and bring teams to consensus.
- Also able to make and enforce management decisions as needed.
- Experienced in introducing quality management measures in a real-world
environment, for example: code walkthroughs, formal test suites, peer
review, "flight plans" for major server or network changes, configuration
management techniques, etc.
- Experienced in making hiring decisions and dealing with difficult